My Blog List

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Biblical Definition of HATE

Biblical HATE

1Jn 2:11- But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness…

What is this thing that proves we are in darkness? You might say, “I don’t hate anyone in here. Well, yeah, there are a few people who get on my nerves from time to time. But I wouldn’t say I ‘hate’ them.”


Well maybe not- at least not by our definition of hate, but how about by God’s definition?


Part of my sermon at United is about being in DARKNESS...1 John 2:7-11

John mentions that "hating your brother" is a reason why many are still in darkness. I woke up this morning thinking about that word: Hate....Here is what I am finding.


  • 1 John 2:11 ho de mison tonadelfon …


Hate- miseo

Meaning: of malicious and unjustifiable feelings towards others, whether towards the innocent or by mutual animosity… Note:In 1 John 3:15, he who "hates" his brother is called a murderer; for the sin lies in the inward disposition, of which the act is only the outward expression.


Here are some thoughts I have this morning:


1. Hate is when we stop holding another’s welfare at heart.

2. Hate is when we simply don’t care; hate is when we justify breaking the unity.

3. Hate is when my thing is more important than your thing.

4. If we hate, God says we are liars and murders waiting to stumble. And even our very best won’t last. Hate kills harmony. Hate kills inspiration. Hate kills others. Hate is suicide.

***But when we agape-love, we are in God’s light. And that light is so bright we can see exactly where we are going- and you know what- we will be going exactly where we need to go.


Have you given much thought to what hatred really is? I pray right now that God will help me to understand what true hatred is and what true love is. Help me Lord, in Jesus name!

1 comment: