My Blog List

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Greyfriars Bobby

This is a great story, a true story I might add, of the loyalty of a dog that loved his master so much that he spent 14 years guarding the grave of his owner, John Gray in Edinburgh. What loyalty and what love this dog showed his master. This story has always intrigued me. I have mentioned this loving dog in sermons, classes and bible studies several times over the last 17 years.

File:Greyfriars-bobby-edin.jpg

MY THOUGHT FOR TODAY: I wonder if PEOPLE thought this much of John Gray? How was his relationships with others? If my dog loves me and thinks I am so wonderful, can this be a true gauge of who I really am and how friendly I am to others?

Know yourself. Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."

-- Ann Landers

Now, I have never been a big fan of Ann Landers, but her quote about my dog did make me think.
I was sitting on my back porch on Tuesday evening when a big bang of thunder came. My dog Labby, who is a black lab/dalmation mix was frightened and jumped on my lap even though she knew well that she is not allowed on the wicker furniture. So, here I was enjoying a thunder storm with a 50 pound dog hanging on like a child.
She needed my protection, my care, she trusted me. What a good feeling to know you are needed.
We all know

The real question, I believe that I should be asking myself is: "What do others think of me and how am I perceived by those that know me well?"
Am I approachable? Am I considerate? Do I really care about those that are able to talk back, challenge and see the real me?

Just a thought....

1 comment:

  1. I read the book of that title when I was a boy. It was a touching story, for sure.

    Someone pointed out that the dog disobeyed his master's last command . . .

    ReplyDelete