My Blog List

Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 14, 2010

Making Your Father's Day

Fathers Day is upon us. To me this is where summer really begins. I have always enjoyed receiving cards, gifts and hugs from my daughters during this time of the year. Just last week, my oldest daughter, Olivia gave me an early Father's Day card. I have been thinking about every day what the words said. I don't mean the words that came printed inside the card, I mean the words that she wrote in the card. She wrote these words: "I love you soooooooooooooo much papa bear!".
Now that makes a dad feel great! I love both of my daughters with all of my heart and they are exactly what God ordered when they came into this world.

Have you ever wondered what the perfect gift is for a dad? Here is an article you might find interesting if you have a moment to read it:
http://www.familiesonlinemagazine.com/dad-sense/fathers-day.html

Today I woke up thinking about ideas for a Father's Day sermon. It is usually Thursday before the words go on paper for a sermon outline so this is thinking way ahead. I was thinking about how the Prodigal Son made his father's day when he came back home after wandering for some time.
Luke 15:11-32 is where you will find the story.

If you are reading this blog post today and you are away from your dad in your heart, your relationship to him has become cold over the years, it would make his day if you made amends. Misunderstandings happen. Mistakes are made. Words are said. I encourage you to call your father and talk this Father's Day.

Perhaps you are away from your heavenly father. This, in essence is what was going on in the prodigal son's life. He was away from what his father taught him, away from his roots, away from happiness, strength and peace. His father always wanted him back. When the son came home, it exemplified some things that the father needed to see to bring joy to him. He made his dad's day. We can make our father's day:
1. When we seek our father’s fellowship
2. When we respect his authority
3. When you have a positive spirit
4. When we love our brothers & sisters
A PRODIGAL SON

Does that lamp still burn in my Father's house,
 Which he kindled the night I went away?
I turned once beneath the cedar boughs,
 And marked it gleam with a golden ray;
 Did he think to light me home some day?

Hungry here with the crunching swine,
 Hungry harvest have I to reap;
In a dream I count my Father's kine,
 I hear the tinkling bells of his sheep,
 I watch his lambs that browse and leap.

There is plenty of bread at home,
 His servants have bread enough and to spare;
The purple wine-fat froths with foam,
 Oil and spices make sweet the air,
 While I perish hungry and bare.

Rich and blessed those servants, rather
 Than I who see not my Father's face!
I will arise and go to my Father:—
 "Fallen from sonship, beggared of grace,
 Grant me, Father, a servant's place."

-- Christina Rossetti


So, what are your thoughts this Father's Day week?

Post something about your dad...

2 comments:

  1. I personally want to say that my dad is a special man. He is a WV man, a man that is proud of his heritage and his upbringing. I want to thank dad for instilling character and hard work into my life. Dad knew that for his kids to be successful they needed to work hard. Thanks dad for showing us the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are my musings from last year, on a subject that doesn't get much discussion, stepfatherhood. There was one very important case of that in the Bible!

    My late father was not perfect, but he was a good man, a believer, and a good father. He taught me a lot, more than I wanted to know when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete